Clay has been the Resident Sound Designer at the Alliance Theatre for 16 years and has designed more than 90 productions including 26 world premieres, 30 musicals and 23 Theater for Young Audiences productions. Recent works include Disgraced; Pancakes, Pancakes!; Edward Foote; and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Other design work has included Georgia Shakespeare, Atlanta Ballet, Cincinnati Playhouse, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, Theatrical Outfit, Geva Theatre and Synchronicity Theatre. Awards: Six Suzi Bass awards for outstanding sound design, with 14 nominations. He is a graduate of Presbyterian College (BA), North Carolina School of the Arts (MFA), and a member of IATSE/USA829.
Roles for Clay Benning
- A Christmas Carol — Sound Design — 2013/14 Season
- A Christmas Carol — Sound Design & Original Music — 2016/17 Season
- The Geller Girls — Sound Design — 2013/14 Season
- Courtenay's Cabaret: Home for the Holidays — Sound Design — 2016/17 Season
- Shrek the Musical — Sound Design — 2013/14 Season
- Troubadour — Sound Design — 2016/17 Season
- The Tall Girls — Sound Design — 2013/14 Season
- Cinderella and Fella — Sound Design — 2016/17 Season
- Native Guard — Sound Designer — 2014/15 Season
- The Dancing Granny — Sound Design — 2017/18 Season
- A Christmas Carol — Sound Design — 2014/15 Season
- James and the Giant Peach — Sound Design — 2014/15 Season
- Edward Foote — Sound Design — 2014/15 Season
- Blues for an Alabama Sky — Sound Design — 2014/15 Season
- Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Musical — Sound Design — 2015/16 Season
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest — Original Music & Sound Design — 2015/16 Season
- Tell Me My Dream — Sound Design — 2015/16 Season
- A Christmas Carol — Sound Design — 2015/16 Season
- Disgraced — Original Music & Sound — 2015/16 Season
- What I Learned in Paris — Sound Design — 2012/13 Season
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe — Sound Design — 2015/16 Season
- By the Way, Meet Vera Stark — Sound Design — 2013/14 Season
- Pancakes, Pancakes! — Original music & sound — 2016/17 Season
To mark the end of the Alliance Stage as we know it, and to welcome the new era with the start of the big renovation, Pearl Cleage, our Mellon Playwright in Residence, wrote a piece to commemorate this special occasion.
As a spunky gal in touch with nature in the kingdom of Kashoogie, India S. Tyree portrays a unique Cinderella in the world-premiere production of Cinderella and Fella. In between performances, India took a few minutes to give us the inside scoop on her role in the musical.
A quick glance at Magic Negro director Anthony LeBlanc's resume reveals a robust string of achievements likely to be the envy of any comedian in the business. One particular credit to his name may cause others to take pause: a Computer Science and Physics B.S. degree.
- 2nd grader at SPARK used their knowledge of fractions and tools of the actor to create commercials to sell their po… t.co/xRNdzYSOQR