Slam Poetry offers a rigorous, multidisciplinary learning opportunity through the arts that builds students’ ability to express themselves in a confident, clear and meaningful way. Through a series of 10 in-class residency sessions and an optional culminating Poetry Slam competition, middle and high school students learn literacy skills of writing and public speaking from a professional poet teaching artist.
Through participation in the Slam Poetry program, students will:
- Increase their awareness of the various poetry devices, techniques and forms;
- Enhance their performance skills;
- Improve their writing and speaking skills;
- Enhance their vocabulary;
- Learn to generate ideas through writing and brainstorming.
Teachers acquire new strategies to engage students in active learning and facilitate their use of higher-level thinking skills.
For more information, contact Rebecca Pogue at email@example.com or 404.733.5329.